Monday, September 28, 2009

Running Update #4

Dear Readers,

It is less than two weeks until the marathon! I can't believe it is this close. Training has been hard, and definitely did not progress how I had planned - but one way or another, I am ALMOST there! The strenuous phase of training is over, and the goal now is to taper and allow my legs to recover for the big day.

I went on my longest training run on Saturday. It was....interesting. The goal was 20 miles, but I only finished 18. At about mile 8, I started to notice that my stomach was not feeling well. I tried to eat (my nutritious but totally inappropriate workout snack of pretzel rods and raisins), but it did not settle well in me. By mile 12, I felt noticeably worse than I did at that point in my past runs. At the end of mile 14.5, I had to stop. I walked half a mile, and was extremely dizzy and pretty weak. Determined to finish, I somehow mustered the will power to finish another 3 miles.

Probably not a good idea.

When I slowed to a walk after the 18th mile, I realized that I was in bad shape. I was pretty much delirious and EXTREMELY dizzy. It was scary as hell. I couldn't eat - it all tasted terrible and my mouth was so dry. The only thing I could do was drink water/gatorade and stare blankly. Thank goodness I had Kat with me - she made sure I didn't pass out. After about 30 minutes, I mustered the strength to bike back home. It turns out my body temp had dropped pretty low. I wrapped myself in blankets and ate and drank as much as I could.

Later that night, I was wolfing down a burger, no problem! So, stop worrying. I'm okay!

Yes, yes, I know -- "Be CAREFUL, Kevin! Are you crazy?!" I need to be much more cognizant of my nutrition during the race. On my run this weekend, I am going to try out some Shot Blocks to see how my stomach handles them. I will stay plenty hydrated and fueled up, and as long as my legs hold up, I'll finish that race!

In the meantime, I still need your help! Although I have had MANY wonderful, generous donations, I still have a ways to go to reach my goal of $2,000! Please consider dusting off that piggy bank and helping me support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Socity! Really, anything will help - $25 or $15 or even $10 bucks...heck, any spare singles you have laying around will all add up in a big way!

The link to donate is here


In the coming weeks, look out for a totally awesome pre-race update or two. I will have more information about race day! Maybe if you're lucky, I'll post a picture of my running beard!

Your Running Boy,

Forrest

No comments:

Post a Comment