Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Running Update #3

Dear Readers,

Let me tell you, this running thing - it's not a bad racket. I honestly enjoy the extended self-propulsion across assorted pavements that is distance running in Chicago. Interestingly, I feel antsy and uncomfortable when I am not running. I am proud to say that I am becoming chemically and psychologically dependent on it. I'm high on exercise!

I have good reasons. I find peace during my runs. It is a good time to clear my head and think. I can satisfy my craving for challenge. I blow off serious work, school, and life-related stress. I see nice people. I see nice things. I sweat. I grunt. I get to be manly. These are all very serious needs that I have, and the act of running goes a long way to satisfying them for me. I am really happy that I have taken on this challenge.

However, it's not all sunshine and lollipops. As I mentioned, my knees haven't exactly taken too kindly to the training. Also, following Saturday's 16-mile run, I think I will be losing the toenail on my left second-toe. I will make sure to post gross pictures in case it does happen. Oh, and the blister spanning the entire end of my toe is fun, too!

Undoubtedly, the most difficult experience from marathon training so far has been the constant battle against negativity. It is far more difficult to stay positive and temperate during an extended challenge than it is to doubt and defeat yourself. But all I need is to have a good day and it reminds me of why I'm doing this.

Speaking of which, here is why I am doing this: LLS Team in Training. I am raising funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to help them in their battle against blood cancers. LLS is the philanthropy of my college fraternity, Phi Kappa Sigma, and they are a great organization.

Please take a minute and check out that link. And if you can, please consider making a donation to LLS on my behalf. I've got some cool ideas about how I can give back to those who have donated, so look out for them!

And to those of you who have already contributed...THANK YOU!! I want you to know that your support means so much to me and has helped me keep my eyes on the prize. Thanks so much!

Your Running/Schooling/Working Boy,

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment