Saturday, October 17, 2009

A post-race story

I had just finished the marathon. I was super sweaty, walking like a rusty tin man, physically and mentally exhausted. I hobbled two blocks to go pick up the bag I had checked before the race. As I was waiting, another race finisher walked up to me and said "Congratulations! Go Team!" He was a thirty-something man who was also wearing the TNT purple shirt. I was used to hearing this; throughout the entire race, there were lots of people who recognized my shirt and shouted very encouraging things to me. It felt great.

So, I wearily look up and thank this gentleman for his support. Without hesitation or a blink of an eye, he responded "No, thank you for saving my daughter." He smiled, and he walked away. I was stunned.

Maybe it was the exhaustion and emotion of having just completed a marathon, but I just about doubled over at that point. The enormity of my accomplishment had snuck up on me and hit me square in the gut at precisely that moment. I'll never forget it as long as I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment