Monday, July 13, 2009

Running update #1

Hello Dear Readers!

I must apologize. I have failed miserably at keeping up at my own commitment to myself to keep a public journal. But the wonderful thing about life is that each and every new moment is a moment ripe for lasting change! Well, here's my first official running update!

Yes, I have been training for the Chicago marathon!
For real! Okay, I will admit that I have missed a few short runs, but by and large, I am well into my training schedule and I feel great! Well, great, given the circumstances. I mean, I am running about (a bazillion).7% more miles than I have ever ran per week before. So, yes -- I have blisters on my feet. Yes, my knees and ankles hurt too much. Yes, I have chafing in my...well, I have chafing. But the important thing is that I am learning how to be a runner.

Anyway, what I really wanted to tell you all is this:

I am not just training for the marathon for myself. I am raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society so they can continue to battle blood cancers by providing funds for research for cures. They also provide money directly to patients currently battling leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma to help them pay the bills for health care.

Placed next to the challenges facing the folks battling these diseases, my struggles are a walk in the park.

Please, please, please -- if you are interested in what I am doing, let me know! I will be happy to give you more updates and let you know how my training is going. And if you find yourself inspired or proud or just want to help out, please consider giving a donation on my behalf to LLS. Here is a link to my fundraising page:

http://pages.teamintraining.org/il/chicago09/kfranke

For now, let me just leave you with some photo evidence of my training. Photo credits go to my lovely Kathryn. And also to my lovely Canon Rebel XSi.



Yes, you see right. I draw deep inspiration from running next to historic Soldier Field, home of DA BEARS, in the heart of MY HOME, Chicago, IL. And yes, I do have Popeye forearm-calves. It is disgusting, I know. Sorry.

Happy trails to you, Dear Reader, until we meet again.

Kevin, a.k.a. Champ, a.k.a. Your Working Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment